Widely known as the birthplace of Memorial Day, the town of Boalsburg is preparing to celebrate the day for the 148th time on Monday May 28, 2012.
Each year Boalsburg’s Memorial Day entertainment draws roughly 25,000 people to the historic area.
From parades to carnivals, to military services and reenactments, the weekend features plenty of fun, but more importantly, remembers all the men and women who have put their lives on the line to protect our freedom.
Here is a listing of events for Memorial Day weekend in Boalsburg. (Or go to the event website - Click Here)
Boalsburg Fire Carnival
The Carnival will be located behind Station 3 at the Boalsburg Fire Company. Thursday and Sunday will be wristband days at the Carnival. For $13 guests can have access to unlimited rides. For more information click here.
World War II Revisited
May 26-27 10 a.m.
The grounds of the Pennsylvania Military Museum in Boalsburg, Centre County, will become a scene from the Post D-Day invasion of France on Saturday May 26 and Sunday May 27 with fighting demonstrations through the “hedgerow countryside” on this annual Memorial Day weekend event, World War II Revisited. German and American troops will bivouac (camp) on site portraying the field life of the infantry soldier in “Normandy” countryside.
This interpretive program features free admission to the Allied Axis Camps beginning at 10:00 a.m. each day. Visitors to the encampment will see examples of the uniforms and equipment on exhibit in the adjacent Pennsylvania Military Museum come alive through the re-enactors. A small squad tactical demonstration against an Axis position is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. each day.
For more information click here.
World War II Service Canteen
May 26 3 p.m. Free Admission
On Saturday only at 3:00 p.m., a song and dance troupe from North Carolina will entertain the troops and public with a performance review of “Letters from Home;” - a live action Andrews Sisters Tribute Show modeled after the songs and impressionistic styles of the original Andrews Sisters Trio of the World War II era. The venue for the canteen show is outside, rain or shine. Visitors are asked to bring their own seating. To find out more about this performance group click here.
Allegheny Mountain Region AACA Car Show
May 28 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Many pre-war through modern classic automobiles will be on display at the Military Musuem. There is a fee for entry and parking at this event. For more information click here.
Memorial Day Race
May 28 8:30 a.m.
The 32nd annual Boalsburg Memorial Day run is a four mile course that can be tamed by runners and walkers. All race proceeds benefit Boalsburg area causes. The run will begin at Blue Spring Park on West Pine Street. Check in time is between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. at the park.
We Will Remember: A Touching Tribute to Veterans
May 28 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Boal Barn Playhouse
Tickets: $5 Adults, $3 Children under 13. Veterans get in free. Tickets may be purchased at the door.
The performance will be put on by Class Act Productions, a theater organization run entirely through volunteer efforts.
For a complete listing of all events scheduled for Memorial Day weekend in Boalsburg, see below:
1. 148th Annual Memorial Day 6:00 pm Service in Boalsburg, Monday May 28, 2012: Walk from diamond to cemetery: 5:45 PM. Service: 6 pm. Address: "Inspiring Loyalty -- A Boalsburg Legacy" by: Elizabeth Ritter, native of Boalsburg and now Legal Counsel to Commissioner Chilton of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission in Washington DC.
2. Boalsburg Memorial Day Daytime Festival Sites on Monday, May 28 (mostly 9 am to 5 pm):
- History of Memorial Day
- A Day in Towne: food, music, crafts, maypole dance
- Boalsburg Village Conservancy, Memorial Day’s sponsor/organizer
- The Boalsburg Heritage Museum: Blacksmith shop, soup, special Boalsburg 200th exhibit; children’s art, petting zoo
- Essay Writing Contest
- Boal Mansion Activities Include Civil War Battle: two Civil War camps and a battle re-enactment; interactive science for children, Boal service awards ceremony; music, crafts, food
- PA Military Museum: Antique cars
- Boalsburg Fun Run, 8:30 am, Blue Spring Park
- Boalsburg Garden Club Activities: exhibit and plant sale
- Street closings, parking and visitors information
3. Other Boalsburg Memorial Day activities (Not on Monday):
- Boalsburg Fire Company Parade, 5 pm Saturday, May 26
- Boalsburg Fire Company carnival, Thurs-Monday, 5/24-5/28
Photos courtesy Boalsburg Fire Company Facebook page and Pennsylvania Military Museum