Five Unique Places to Enjoy Fall Foliage in Happy Valley
Written by JJ Robb
Nestled in the over
500,000 acres of woodlands
that make up the
Allegheny National Forest,
there are few better places
in Pennsylvania for seeing
the arboraceous splendor
of the changing seasons
than the State College
area. What’s remarkable
about Happy Valley is not
only its natural beauty,
but the variety of ways to
enjoy the stunning autumn
1. Mt Nittany Inn – Perched at the top of Centre Hall Mountain, this eatery’s Looking Glass Room provides a panoramic view of bucolic Penns Valley. At the Mt. Nittany Inn, you can take in the raucous colors of Central Pennsylvania fall foliage while enjoying lunch, dinner, or an exceptional Sunday brunch. We recommend their outstanding Rachel sandwich to meet your gustatory needs while you enjoy the view.
2. Seven Mountains Wine Cellars – For dedicated oenophiles who
believe the autumnal sights are best enjoyed over a choice vintage,
Seven Mountain Wine Cellars offers the dual advantage of a patio nestled
in the woods of the Central Susquehanna Valley and an array of
signature wines bottled on the premises, from the Rattlehead Red
to the “We Are” Cayuga White. You can enjoy a glass or two with
friends while taking in the sights and then bring a few bottles with
you to remember the experience.
3. Tussey Mountain – If you’re looking to get out and play in the crisp fall air, Tussey Mountain in Boalsburg is a great destination. It offers a variety of autumn activities, including a fully equipped skate park, a full golf course and 400‑yard driving range, batting cages, go‑karts, 18‑hole mini golf, and a variety of outdoor concerts and concerts and events in their amphitheatre.
4. Lake Raystown Resort – Set in Huntingdon County near Raystown Lake reservoir, Lake Raystown Resort is a great place to eat and stay while enjoying the fall foliage. Live your fall fantasy in at a rustic camping cabin, cottage, villa, or even houseboat and enjoy a casual meal at the Marina Café before setting out to partake in the hiking and fishing around Raystown Lake.
5. Bellefonte Fall Foliage Train Rides – Purchase your tickets
now to enjoy the fall colors of Happy Valley by train on October
20 or 21. This year there are four trips to choose from. All rides
are round trip departing from the Bellefonte Station. At 10 am
on Saturday a trip departs for Pleasant Gap. At 12 pm, a trip runs
to Lemont (this trip has not previously been offered). At 2:30
pm, a third departs for Sayers Dam near Howard, PA. On Sunday, a
single trip departs at 1 pm for Tyrone. This year’s trip will have an
extended stopover at Tyrone so passengers should have time to
visit the Historical Museum and, hopefully, see a few trains pass
by on the nearby Norfolk Southern main line. Tickets for the Fall
Foliage excursions are on sale now at the Train Station, or visit
For good measure, don’t forget downtown State College also celebrates the colorful season with a yearly Fall Festival set for October 13. With hot cider, pumpkin decorating, crafts, and pony rides, the festival is sure to please the entire family and is a great way to enjoy the season.
Image courtesy of Mt Nittany Inn Facebook Page